The palace was built at the end of the 18th century, the first owner being Grigory
Potemkin one of Catherine the Great's lovers. In 1783 Russia annexed the Crimea,
at that time in Turkish possession, the region reverting to its old name of Taurus.
Potemkin was appointed governor-general, later receiving the title of Prince of
Tauride by which title his palace became known.